Are you looking for a comparison of the best cryptocurrency portfolio trackers? Then you’re at the right place.
As a cryptocurrency investor, you need a cryptocurrency portfolio tracker. If you don’t use one, then you essentially only have two alternatives.
The first one is to keep track of your investments on a spreadsheet that you update manually all the time, and the second one is to not keep track of your investments at all.
Obviously, both alternatives are not ideal, which is why a portfolio is crucial in the fast-moving cryptocurrency world.
In this article, we compare the best cryptocurrency portfolio trackers to help you decide which one suits you best, along with giving some insights into the importance of this critical tool.
Top Crypto Portfolio Trackers Compared
|Portfolio Tracker||Special feature||Get|
|Blockfolio||Most popular portfolio tracker|
|CoinTracker||Built-in tax calculator|
|CoinTracking||Built-in tax calculator|
|CoinStats||News and alerts|
Crypto Portfolio Trackers Reviewed
With 5M+ downloads and 90k+ reviews in total, BlockFolio is the most popular crypto portfolio tracker out there.
- Simple to use and free
- Signals from coins in your portfolio
- Multiple crypto portfolios supported
- Freezes during periods of extremely high traffic
- Unlike some competitors, can’t prepare tax reports
BlockFolio quickly rose to popularity for offering a simple to use crypto portfolio tracker, with zero ads and no hidden costs.
The portfolio tracker enables to seamlessly track the prices of 6,000+ different coins on 250+ cryptocurrency exchanges, ensuring that all assets in your crypto portfolio are most definitely supported by the app.
On the contrary to other crypto portfolio trackers, BlockFolio also enables its users to track multiple crypto portfolios simultaneously.
This is particularly helpful if you, like some people in the crypto world, have one portfolio with long-term holdings and another with positions that you trade in and out of frequently.
BlockFolio also enables you to follow “Signals” from the coins in your crypto portfolio, which are a way for crypto projects to share updates and new developments with its followers.
If you are an individual with not too much time to follow all crypto news on social media and crypto publications, you’ll likely find a lot of value in this feature.
Finally, although BlockFolio does have the capability to connect with crypto exchanges and automatically update your portfolio based on the trades you make, it does not have a functionality (yet) that enables you to use that transaction data to file taxes.
If you are looking for a crypto portfolio tracker that also makes filing taxes easy, then continue scrolling to the reviews for “CoinTracker” and “CoinTracking”.
If, however, what you are looking for is a simple, complete and free crypto portfolio tracker, then BlockFolio is for you.
With 1M+ downloads, Delta is the second most popular crypto portfolio tracking app at the time of writing. In addition to an excellent mobile app, Delta is also available as a desktop client for Windows, MacOS and Linux.
- Clean layout and simple to use
- Available on mobile and desktop devices
- Optional PRO version with advanced portfolio analytics
- Supports less exchanges than BlockFolio
- Free version can only API link the app to 2 exchange accounts or wallets
Delta’s feature set is very similar to Blockfolio’s. The portfolio tracker supports 3,000+ cryptocurrencies and tracks prices on 200+ crypto exchanges.
The app also has an instant news feature similar to Blockfolio’s “Signal”. Throughout this system, which is called Delta Direct, 400+ cryptocurrency teams can easily share updates with its coin holders.
The main difference between Delta and other crypto portfolio trackers is that it offers an optional PRO plan, starting at $7.
In addition to all the features in the free version, Delta PRO also enables its users to perform advanced portfolio analytics, sync up to 5 devices, and connect to unlimited wallets and exchanges through a custom API.
CoinTracking is a crypto portfolio tracker that stands out due to its built-in tax reporting tool and trade import functionality. CoinTracking is ideal for professional cryptocurrency investors and traders.
- Built-in tax reporting tool
- 6,800+ coins supported
- Excellent app available
- Not as simple to use as BlockFolio and Delta
- Free version is relatively limited
CoinTracking offers three different pricing tiers that are priced based on the number of “transactions” you perform. The tool defines each “transaction” as a trade made on a cryptocurrency exchange or an actual transaction on the blockchain.
If you aren’t an active trader and perform less than 200 transactions per month, the free plan will be enough for you.
Please keep in mind though that in the free plan, the tool does not automatically import your transactions from crypto wallets and you will have to do so manually.
If you are a very active trader, then you will have to consider purchasing either the PRO option with a 3,000 transactions limit and $65 price tag, or the UNLIMITED plan costing $1,050 supporting unlimited transactions.
CoinTracking also offers some advanced portfolio analysis tools like an option that aims to predict the Bitcoin price direction based on trend analysis models. However, we haven’t yet been able to verify the accuracy of these tools.
Overall, if you are an active trader or investor and are looking for a tool that makes filing crypto taxes easy, then CoinTracking is ideal for you.
On the other hand, if you are just a casual investor that files taxes manually, then BlockFolio and Delta are better suited as crypto portfolio trackers for you.
Similarly to CoinTracking.info, CoinTracker is also a powerful crypto portfolio tracker with a built in tax calculator.
- Built-in tax calculator
- Supports API connection to 300+ crypto exchanges
- 2,500+ coins supported
- Not as simple to use as other portfolio trackers
CoinTracker supports direct API connections to 300+ crypto exchanges and most cryptocurrency wallets out there.
This enables CoinTracker’s users to save a lot of time and hassle by directly importing trades into the app.
Although the app’s portfolio tracking functionality is free, if you want to use CoinTracker’s tax calculator then you will need to purchase one of the app’s premium plans.
CoinTracker’s premium plans start at $49 to track 100 transactions, and go up to as high as $999 to track 15,000+ transactions.
Finally, in addition to an excellent web-app, CoinTracker also offers an excellent iOS and Android app. This enables you to keep track of your crypto portfolio and your crypto taxes right from the palm of your hand.
CryptoCompare is much more than just a crypto portfolio tracker. It’s web platform provides an entire ecosystem for the crypto space with reviews, news, analytics, and more.
- Available on desktop and mobile devices
- Built in portfolio risk analysis functionality
- Built in crypto tax calculator
- All trades need to be added manually
- Not very modern layout
CryptoCompare’s portfolio tracker is just one of the many pieces of the CryptoCompare ecosystem. To use the portfolio tracker, head over to the portfolio section on CryptoCompare’s platform and create an account.
With this account, you’ll be able to access your crypto portfolio tracker from any desktop device and also any iOS and Android device after downloading the app.
Although the overall layout of the portfolio tracker is not as sleek as the one of BlockFolio or Delta, it does the job well enough.
The portfolio tracker stands out by offering a “Risk Analysis” tool, which calculates the overall risk exposure of your portfolio based on the volatility and liquidity of your holdings.
It’s important to note that CryptoCompare also has a very basic built-in crypto tax calculator which keeps track of your realized profit and losses, and also taxes that are still pending payment.
Gem is a powerful crypto portfolio app that has put user experience and design at the top of its priority list.
- Beautiful layout and design
- Built in functionality to research crypto assets
- Supports API integration with 25+ exchanges
- Not available for desktop
In addition to its eye-catching design, Gem differentiates itself from crypto portfolio trackers like BlockFolio by enabling its users to create an account.
By creating an account, Gem’s users can easily access their portfolio from any mobile device (be it Android or iOS) without having to set it up from zero when switching devices.
Further, in addition to supporting 2,000+ cryptocurrencies, Gem also supports API connections to 25+ crypto exchanges.
Hence, if you want Gem to automatically update your portfolio based on your trades, simply upload the API key to your exchange account to the portfolio app.
Finally, Gem offers a feature it calls “Discover”. This functionality enables you to check whitepapers, summaries of crypto projects, price action and more to research crypto assets right from the Gem app.
It’s also important to note that Gem is fully free to use, with no premium options or hidden costs.
CoinStats is a simple crypto portfolio tracker that enables to track the prices of 3,000+ cryptocurrencies on over 300 crypto exchanges.
- Available on desktop and mobile
- Supports direct connection to exchanges and wallets
- Ability to set price alerts and read crypto news
- User interface not as modern as competitors
Although CoinStats does not bring anything new to the table when compared to other crypto portfolio trackers, it does match many of the most popular features.
Some of the core functionalities of CoinStats include the ability to set price alerts for the coins in your portfolio, following cryptocurrency news right from the app, and crisp price charts from coins in your portfolio.
CoinStats also enables you to connect the app to 20+ crypto exchanges and wallets via API. This way, you don’t have to manually update the portfolio every time you make a new trade.
What is a cryptocurrency portfolio tracker?
A cryptocurrency portfolio tracker is a tool to monitor your cryptocurrency holdings, and how each and single one of them is performing. Although there are many cryptocurrency portfolio trackers out there, they all fit into one of the two following categories:
- Cryptocurrency portfolio tracker App
- Desktop cryptocurrency portfolio tracker
Aside from letting you keep track of cryptocurrency prices, most crypto portfolio trackers also let you add how much you own of each coin and the tool will calculate the value of your total holdings and how much this value fluctuates on a daily basis.
Furthermore, some of the most popular cryptocurrency portfolio trackers not only show you the latest crypto and blockchain-related news, but they also serve as a medium for the team members of a coin to share announcements. This is especially useful when investing in smaller less liquid coins, and if you don’t have a lot of time to follow the social media channels of all the coins that you have invested in.
How we selected the best cryptocurrency portfolio trackers
We know that every user has his own preferences and needs when looking for a cryptocurrency portfolio tracker to manage their investments and stay up to date with the market. In order to appeal to the preferences of as many people as possible, this comparison was mainly focused on the ease of use of the portfolio trackers, and how feature-rich they are.
The following points were considered especially important in determining the best cryptocurrency portfolio trackers that you see on the above comparison table:
- Ease of use: As an investor in the hyper-volatile world of cryptocurrency, you will likely be checking your portfolio at least once a day, and during a bull-run where price action is very interesting, most investors will be opening their portfolio tracking app nearly on an hourly basis. Since you will be using it so often, it is crucial that the portfolio tracker is intuitive to use and that the user experience is enjoyable.
- Features: A great cryptocurrency portfolio tracker can do so much more than just showing the price of the coins that you are invested in. In order to obtain 5 stars for “Features” in our rating, the portfolio tracker needs to have an iOS and Android App, great charts, built-in functionality to show the latest news, custom price notifications, and more.
- Speed: Due to the high load that crypto portfolio trackers experience during times of high volatility in the cryptocurrency space (especially during bull runs), it’s important that it has a solid server infrastructure that ensures fast loading times at all times. In the early days, there were many portfolio trackers that would completely freeze once the Bitcoin price starts going up because everyone started refreshing the app to see the latest price.
- Trustworthiness: A portfolio tracker will not only know which coins you hold and when you enter a position, but it will also know your total portfolio value. This can be a serious security concern if the portfolio tracker you use is not trustworthy. In early 2017, there was a scandal that certain portfolio apps were explicitly looking into the holdings of their users and analyzing them. Portfolio apps that do this should not be used.
- Coins supported: With thousands of coins out there, it is very hard for a portfolio tracker app to support all of them. There is considerable work involved with supporting a new coin, including uploading its basic information, connecting it to exchanges to obtain the price, and writing a brief description. That being said, only supporting the most popular coins will not get a portfolio tracking app 5 stars for this section.